Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sorry, I'm Not Sorry

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY!

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a woman is: 
1) a : an adult female person
b : a woman belonging to a particular category (as by birth, residence, membership, or occupation) 
2: womankind
3: distinctively feminine nature : womanliness
Simple enough, right? By the terms of literary definition, sure. 

Let's take a closer look at the third definition provided, and define the word womanly:
1: like or befitting a woman; feminine; not masculine or girlish

And, feminine:
1: having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with women, especially delicacy and prettiness (ladylike)

Growing up, I struggled to fulfill the expectations of being a woman. This seems silly, even to me, as being a woman should be as simple as having the female anatomy. After almost twenty years on planet Earth, I have come to find that it's not quite that easy. Far too often, I felt the pressure to be more delicate, soft spoken, refined, pure and agreeable as a woman, only to continuously come up short and a little embarrassed at my own difficulty to carry myself in a "ladylike" manner.  Additionally, I have been envious of women who are able to be gentle and tender with such ease.  These traits are lovely and endearing for those whose personalities naturally carry them, as our differences are what make each of us so beautifully unique.

Overtime, I have come to terms with who I am rather than wishing to be a woman I am not. I am loud, confrontational, wild, sarcastic, outspoken, an odd combination of antsy yet laissez faire, slightly inappropriate at times, very honest and all around a hot mess. In the patriarchal world we inhabit, my personality has led others, specifically men, to so lovingly refer to me as a "crazy bitch" for doing the same things that men are expected to do on a daily basis. No worries boys, I fully understand how one would find a woman who refuses to sit down and accept anything but equality, respect and fairness intimidating. And for the record, I'm really not sorry about it...at all.

Although I am not society's poster child for the traditional expectations of a lady, that does not make me any less of a woman. I will be the first to admit that my vibes do not fit into everyone's cup of tea. I am handful to say the least, but I am proudly and unapologetically myself, regardless of what anyone else may think about me. Take it or leave it, because at the end of the day, I'm still going to be a bad bitch.

What does being a woman mean to you?

"Being comfortable in my own skin...we come in all shapes and sizes, and we are all beautiful in our own ways. It means being able to look in the mirror and know God has a purpose for me that is greater than all that is of this world."
-Anissa Weaver

"Having the power to (potentially in the future) create another freaking life because that's insanely awesome."
-Kelsey Switzer

"Never giving up... All of our lives we are pushed down by the societal traditions to stay at home, look pretty, keep everything clean, be a good cook, raise the kids, and don't complain. Yet now we are starting to live in a world where people are starting to listen, people are starting to see that women haven't been treated equally and shouldn't be locked into these primitive stereotypes. If women all those centuries ago had given up on fighting to be heard, women wouldn't be where they are today."
-Ellen Salaun

"Finding beauty in everything, being naturally maternal and comforting people. Everyone makes us seem like delicate flowers (we are) but we're also badasses (we prove this monthly). Our bodies are literally what brings life to the earth...nothing more amazing than that."
-Jennifer Jardine

"We are daughters of a King, God Almighty. We are royal princesses once we step into our identity. We are the precious, pure and beautiful bride of Christ."
-Elizabeth Inyang

Y G G

No comments

Post a Comment

© Unapologetic
Maira Gall